Running an efficient manufacturing or distribution business means being able to find parts and product quickly and accurately.
Using bins in your warehouse allows you to better utilize floor space and offers better organization and logic making for a more efficient experience when picking items.
A bin is simply an identification of a place in your warehouse or storage area that is used to store inventory items that you purchase and/or sell. It can be a shelf on a rack, a shipping container in an outside yard, or even a label to show an item is stored offsite at a vendor’s facility.
If you have multiple places to find an item in your facility, it’s is worth considering using the bin functionality in Macola’s Inventory Management module to assist you in managing your stock.
By recording bins in your inventory and warehouse management system, you can improve traceability and add more detail to your inventory records eliminating some of the physical counts and checks that may otherwise be required. You will eliminate the time wasted by your production and shipping staff to find stock for use, reduce overstock and streamline your picking process.
Macola’s Bin Master Maintenance Screen allows you to store multiple items in the same bin and/or the same items in multiple bins.
- You can set parameters for the bin’s physical properties
- Set physical limitations on bins (bin max parameters)
- You can also set the priority – in cases where you store the same item in multiple bins, the priority will dictate which bin the item is received into first
Within the bin master record, you can capture the following information:
- Bin number
- Bin priority
- Last date received
- On hand quantity
- Allocated quantity
- Unit cost
- Max type (blank, cubes, quantity, weight)
- In the Extra Tab, you have space for extra data in the user defined fields and can also attach documents
The Location Bin View in Macola displays bin master information for all the items stored in a bin. The view allows you to enter a location and a bin number and view all the items stored in that bin. Items are listed in a list box. You can highlight an item to populate fields at the top of the screen with bin master information, including cube parameters and unit of measure information.
All transactions for a Bin tracked item will require additional input from your team to put away stock into the appropriate bin, move product between bins, and pick stock out of a bin for use in production or sales fulfilment. Depending on your selection of Issue and Receipt Methods for use of the Bins, Macola can either suggest the bin to use, or wait for your input.
The use of WiSys WMS system to scan bar codes for item numbers and bin labels can speed up the entry process on transactions and ensure a very high degree of accuracy.
There are some pre-requisites you need to address to use this feature in Macola:
- Advance Distribution must be enabled
- Select the Use Multi Bins check box on the Inventory Management Setup screen of the System Package Settings.
- Choose your global Bin Issue Method and Bin Receipt Method in the Inventory Management Setup screen of the System Package Settings.
- Designate the item as both Stocked and Controlled on the Item Master Maintenance screen.
- Select the Multiple Bins check box on the Inventory Location Maintenance screen for the location.
- Select the Multiple Bins check box in the Item/Location Maintenance screen
Harvest Ventures offers support and consulting for Macola ERP software. If you require assistance in setting up bins or evaluating warehouse and inventory management strategies, we can help you. Contact us >>